Does your child struggles for breath and makes alarming barking noise? Check this out!
Croup is a type of laryngitis that affects babies and young children and causes breathing problems because their airway tube is so small. Normally the attack of croup usually start suddenly and occur at night.
- The child is distressed and wakes in the night.
- He has a painful hacking cough
- His breathing is laboured
- As he draws breath to cry, he makes barking noise.
- His lower chest sucks in with every breath.
What the parent can do when your child have above symptoms?
- Comfort and calm your child and call doctor immediately.
- Open the window and let him breath the cool night air.
- Keep your child in a warm room and increase the humidity by boiling some water in an electric kettle and allowing steam to fill the room.
- Place damp towels on heaters to increase humidity.
- Alternatively take the child into bathroom and run hot taps on the bath and basin or carry him to shower stall. Close the window and stay in steam filled room for at least ten minutes. Sit him on the lap.